Thursday, April 29, 2004

I can't believe it. I can.


I go over to Northside lounge because i'm itching to play some poker. I sit for a little bit and watch, then buy in. I sit and take 2 rounds of blinds not playing a hand. Then I get some cards. Then I get queens. Then Kings come out on the board. So I have 2 pair, and Mr. Blue Devil (known by his hat and shirt from Duke) pushes me all in. I know he doesn't have Kings or he would have acted earlier. So, lets look back to an earlier late night poker in the Northside lounge by FHK: Daniel gets queens delt to him. Mr. Blue Devil bets high and Daniel can't fold queens. On the river comes a thrid king. Daniel has a full house Kings over Queens. Mr. Blue Devil shows his Aces and wins. He gets lucky only on me, because his friends were taking his money.

Tonight: Daniel has 2 pair and is pushed all in. As soon as he does - Daniel knows Mr. Blue Devil has Aces, like he had before when he took me out. Its unfair how i play conservatively - more conservatively than i ever play, and get knocked out on a load of horse freaking crap. It really makes me mad. That's unlucky. Some say cards is all luck. I disagree.


"But Daniel, don't you realize? Whoever gets good cards in chump games like you play is going to win."

No, ________, i don't agree. Whoever gets the right job offer makes more money? No, thats night right either. Its how you play what you are given. You can make money with a low paying job if you are patient and work hard.


I know you, generic blog reader who disagrees with what i'm saying, will disagree once again. That's ok. Do you know why thats ok? Becuase I'm the one who plays cards, and not you.


I suppose there are bigger things in my life to talk about.


Like the end of AFC tonight. It was kinda sad, but amazingly fun and cool too. We went to the press box of Kyle Field and got to sit and read our NiceThings and get our old-army AFC shirts. Then all the counselors shared their hearts and words of advice to us. It was amazing reading all of the "nice things" that people said to me. Some of them were straight from the heart. I hope that all of them were, but I doubt it. That's ok too. Every single one that i wrote, especially to the people I told in person, were straight from my heart. I've noticed a trend. Everything i say is a flow from my heart. I really speak with my heart; and sometimes a filter is needed. Let me echo Pete's sentiment's once again.


Things I have yet to master:
1. Words
2. Timing
3. Preparation
4. The Heart


This is a long blog and i'm going to dedicate it to my new readers: perhaps Brooke Weid (who is linked on the left hand side) and Jennifer Barron, and Adrienne Kocher.



I miss you Pete, bro. Stay strong, I'm praying for you. Ditto Chip, thanks for serving my country.


Thank you AFC for making my freshman year amazing. Absolutly amazing. Ineffable.



Jeremiah 24:7

"'I will give them a heart to know Me, for I am the LORD; and they will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with their whole heart."

No comments: