Friday, June 27, 2008

its "take your kids to work day" here at Raytheon. i'm bored, so i decided to go zoink one of the free duncan donuts. as i walk down to the cafeteria area, i observe 3 different situations that i found very funny. 1 made me laugh out loud.

1. Man sitting down in front of a tri-fold board about the Native American Employees Association - his co-worker/friend has obviously stopped to introduce his children. As I pass, i hear the demonstrator say to his friend's 14/15 yr old daughter, "Yah, I have one, too. She looks like you, She's a little shorter, a little bit thinner, and has lighter hair."

So i processed it, and then realized that this girl was easily old enough to have been insulted by it. [insert reminiscence of awkward middle school pubescent-developmental stages]. Then it occured to me - I hadn't really got a good look at this girl. So i thought, "hmm do I turn around and take a quick glance... not yet... wait till I'm a little bit farther down the hall..."

[daniel glances]

The girl really wasn't that chubby. I mean, I've got some chub to me, and she did, too. But I found it very funny, and let out a chuckle (man, that word is weird), and smiled as i went down the hall.

2. I'm walking behind a dad and his 2 sons, when I hear the middle school-aged son blurt out: "Oh, dad! At band camp, Johnny brought these cookies, they were shaped like little people, they were so good, and we ate them all the time."

This isn't that funny, but i did want to record that I actually heard a sincere "this one time at band camp..." quotation

3. I'm walking behind a dad and his daughter. Daughter (13-15?ish?) walks past a doorway, sees the silver, rounded square button of a handicapped access door opener, and punches it. Dad: "don't do that". I thought it was funny, dad instructs her to abstain from impulsively acting, 15 seconds after the fact.


Thats it. This wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. Good news: i get to leave work in 35 minutes. What about you?

1 comment:

EJ Chang said...

Band camp. Quality. I had a pretty funny day at work myself.